Tuesday, June 22, 2010

To Love My Husband?

As a warning, this is slightly different from most of the blogs I write.

I am a blog wanderer. I jump from one to another and usually have no idea how I ended up there. Lauren’s blog is one of those. She has started to write on Tuesdays about ways that she loves her husband, and other bloggers link up to hers. I have been reading these posts for a couple of months and have been so encouraged by the authenticity of these women and their desire to glorify the Lord in their marriages. I thought I would join in the fun today.



But there is a catch...

I am not married. Not engaged. Not dating. Despite this small hang-up, I don’t think that gets me off the hook for beginning to “love my husband”. My favorite part of Proverbs 31 is verse 12.

“She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.”

All the days of my life. That doesn’t mean I get to start loving and honoring him when we meet. There is so much I can and should be doing during this season to prepare to be the kind of wife God has called me to be. To bring good to this man I don’t even know.

I can pursue the Lord wholeheartedly. I can keep my focus on Him, rather than being distracted by the temptations of this world. I can strive for purity in all areas of my life. I can be obedient to following His will, even when it’s not easy. I can spend time in the Word and hide those truths in my heart. I can love others more than I love myself.

My time in South Asia has been so helpful in these pursuits, but also in the small things. I am cooking more than I ever have before. And from scratch. Unless the Lord brings me a chef, I hope this is one way I am able to love and serve my husband. I have also learned what genuine community looks like. What it means to live life together and be authentic in our walks with each other and with God.

Though I’m incredibly far from perfect in any of these areas, striving for these things is the only way my husband will ever be able to say, “but you surpass them all”. So I will love him in this season through loving my Savior, basking in His grace, and seeing His plan for me beautifully unfold.

4 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL words. Truth of your heart.

    He will be a very special man one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fun and I would LOVE to have lunch with you when you get back just to hear all about your adventures! I talked to your mom a little the other night...she said that you've learned a lot. So very cool!

    Oh, and you are waaaay ahead of the game in the being a wife department. Way ahead of my game at least ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome post and I am SO glad you linked up! You gave a perfect example of what it means to "bring him good, not harm, all the days of her life." Thank you so much for sharing! The man you end up with is extremely blessed already! I'm your newest follower!! :)

    ReplyDelete