Tuesday, April 20, 2010

2 Kings 5

" 1 Now Naaman was commander of the army of the king of Aram. He was a great man in the sight of his master and highly regarded, because through him the LORD had given victory to Aram. He was a valiant soldier, but he had leprosy. 2 Now bands from Aram had gone out and had taken captive a young girl from Israel, and she served Naaman's wife. 3 She said to her mistress, "If only my master would see the prophet who is in Samaria! He would cure him of his leprosy."

I came across this passage the other day and was both challenged and encouraged by the young girl's actions. She was taken captive to a place and people she didn't know. She was away from her family and all that was familiar and asked to serve. She did serve, and went beyond what she was asked to do. She offered what she had to the people who had brought her there. She knew of a prophet and his ability to heal. She completely trusted that he would be able to give that healing to her master. And the master trusted her.

The rest of the passage tells us that Naaman went to the king of Israel in search of this healing. Elisha told him to wash seven times in the Jordan and he would be healed. Though he was initially upset with these instructions, he did as he had been told, and the Word says "his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy".

My favorite part of the passage, though, is Naaman's response to this healing. He tells Elisha, "Now I know that there is no God in all the world except in Israel".

How I long to hear those words! In a culture with millions of gods, even when people hear about Jesus and what He has done, their response is typically to add Him to their list of gods. They may know about Him, pray to Him, worship Him, but not as the One, True God. In a conversation the other day, when I asked about a friend's relationship with the Lord, she told me she had a cross hanging in her pooja room, where she worships her gods. That was enough for her.

Like the young girl in the story, He has given me the opportunity to share what I have seen and experienced. I may have little to give, but He can do so much with my small offering. As I seek to serve them, let these people see a difference.... desire to know why.... hear about the healing they too can have. Join me in praying that they would respond as Naaman did, and worship Christ alone.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! You are gorgeous in your sari. The other girls are pretty, but you outshine them. Of course, I'm prejudiced! Much love. Mimi

    ReplyDelete