Saturday, October 23, 2010

Love In the Time of Cholera

Not gonna lie... I haven't read this book. But the title took on new meaning for me yesterday.

I am supposed to board a plane at 7:20am on Monday to head to Haiti. I can't even begin to tell you how much I have been looking forward to seeing the ministry of New Missions up close. I'm even more excited to be meeting my sponsored child. We have built a relationship through letters over the past year and a half, but I can't wait to see her. To hug her. To laugh with her.

It's been less than a year since the earthquake, and only 2% of the rubble has been cleared. To put it bluntly, Haiti is still a mess. It's considered a fifth world country, which I honestly can't wrap my mind around. Part of me feels like my time in South Asia will help me, but I'm afraid it's on a whole different scale.

If you have been watching the news the last couple of days, you have probably heard about a new problem. There has been an outbreak of cholera in Haiti. When I heard this, I had no clue what that even meant, but it sounded terrifying. Then I was asked to do some research on the disease.

I'm no longer terrified, but I'm still asking for prayer. Right now, the trip is up in the air. A decision should be made today on whether our group will head out on Monday as planned. I am longing to get there and minister in another time of great need for these people... to love in the time of cholera.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." -Proverbs 31:8-9

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." -Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment