One thing I am hoping is that this blog gets a little more exciting in the new year. While I have made promises like this before, I do have a little back-up this time. By "little", I mean a tiny Canon PowerShot that fits into the back pocket of my jeans. My oh-so-wise parents realized that this girl needed some encouragement to record my life. This girl that didn't even bring a camera on an African safari. They also knew that if it didn't fit nicely into a small pocket in my purse, it had zero chance of ever being used. So this guy was a surprise under the Christmas tree and will be a welcome accomplice on this blogging adventure.
Speaking of "adventure", I am in a season of life that definitely falls into that category, and I am determined to grow and learn and truly live in it. My tendency is too often to look ahead to something that I have convinced myself is better. I then miss where He has me in the moment and the incredible lessons to be learned.
Several weeks ago, I decided that one of the window treatments in my apartment needed to go and a bamboo shade was the solution of choice. This meant that I needed to remove the old and use a drill (what?!?) and other tools to put up the new addition. After multiple phone calls to my dad, I was determined to finish this project that the directions promised would take 15 minutes. Two hours later, I stood back to admire the work. I don't think I have ever felt so accomplished. I did it. On my own. With a drill.
Not everyone has the opportunity to do live like this. This is a season full of laughter, questions, discovery, fear, and an intimacy with my Savior that I must savor. To do that, I want to be better at recording it and sharing it with you.
What will this look like? I want to be honest and real as I share about the fun, but also the challenges. The triumphs and the failures. The joys and the sorrows.
The treasures that make me smile.
The Truth that He reveals.
Because I have left you with these empty promises before, I am not waiting to begin. This starts today.
One of the places growth is occurring is in the kitchen. One of the problems with this, however, is time. Most days, I do not head straight home after work. When I do, it is usually a result of exhaustion, which means that the thought of cooking a masterpiece is not appealing. What is the solution? Another Christmas present.
Attempt #1 in the crock-pot happened this week. Cajun pot roast slightly altered from the original recipe. Because Tabasco and Tony's were the first things this Louisiana girl purchased when stocking my kitchen, it was a no-brainer when I came across it. The dish was not quite worthy of the title "masterpiece", but dinner being ready when I get home does deserve it. No question this is the first of the slow-cooker experiments.
2 lb. boneless beef chuck roast
About 2 Tbsp Tony's
1 chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
1 tsp Tabasco
1/2 tsp pepper
Coat the roast with Tony's. Place in crock-pot and top with onion. Pour tomatoes with juice, Tabasco, and pepper over the meat. Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low.
What will 2012 hold? No idea. But there will definitely be lessons.
P.S. Please excuse the terrible photography. Maybe I'll grow there too.
Look at you! I'm so happy for you and all your adventures! If you want easy recipes let me know! I have some good ones that don't take a lifetime to prepare. Love yoU!
ReplyDelete